Thunder Moon Ritual
July’s full moon is in Capricorn and it is one of the most potent full moons of the year. This moon is often called the Thunder Moon, not just because there tend to be a lot of thunderstorms this time of year. Think about thunderstorms you’ve witnessed. All of the turbulence atmospherically, emotionally, spiritually, leads to a sense of renewal. When the storm is over, even if there’s damage done to the environs, think about how it smells…doesn’t the earth smell cleansed? Do you sense the healing done by the storm? Sometimes you can gently ask negative energies to disperse (think of smudging as asking nicely) but other times it takes something violent, like a thunderstorm, to get rid of them (more like a banishing).
The full moon is the perfect time to take advantage of all of this “thunderstorm energy” to cleanse and transform our lives to restore balance and harmony. The full moon will take care of what needs to go and what needs to stay, so this ritual focuses on spiritual transformations by raising your vibration or bringing more acceptance to whatever transformations come your way.
You can do this ritual for up to 2 weeks after the Thunder Moon, and you can adapt it to fit your needs and beliefs.
- A candle (I use white ones, but if a specific color calls to you, listen to that voice)
- Smudging tool (sage, sage combo, palo santo, etc.)
- Pen and paper (optional)
- Find a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed. You’ll be laying down for part of this ritual, so make sure you’ve got a comfortable place to do so. Light your candle and smudge yourself and the room you’re in.
- Sit comfortably and close your eyes. Take several deep breaths to center and calm yourself. When you’re ready, place both hands over your heart chakra and say “I love and accept myself” 7 times. Feel the energy of your self-acceptance wrap around you.
- Stretch out and lay flat. You’re going to use your hand to focus energy into three of your chakras; this energy is going to open, clear, and raise the vibrations in them. Be sure that you’re using the same hand for all three parts of the ritual. Take a moment to move energy through your hand. Visualize it as a white light moving through your arm and coming out through your palm.
- Hover your hand, palm facing towards your body, over your 2nd chakra, around your belly button. Feel the energy coming from your hand connect with this chakra. Move your hand in 7 counterclockwise circles around your chakra. Feel the energy opening up the chakra, clearing away blockages and negativity with each pass. After the 7th sweep, shake your hand to release all of that energy, then go back to your naval and raise the chakra’s vibration by circling your naval in a clockwise motion. By feeding the white light of your energy into this chakra, you’re charging and strengthening it. You’ll know you’re raising the vibrations because the orange light of this chakra will glow brighter and the chakra will be spinning freely. This chakra manages your creativity, emotional stability, and flexibility. Strengthening and clearing this chakra should help you feel better equipped to handle what life throws at you because you are more balanced and able to think outside of the box to solve problems creatively as they arise.
- Once you are finished with the 2nd chakra, move up to the 4th, the one over your heart. Repeat the process of clearing negativity with the 7 counterclockwise circles, shake your hand, and then the 3 clockwise circles. You should see this chakra’s green light glow brighter by the time you’re done with the last pass. Your heart chakra is the seat of your soul, where you feel empathy and love, so you’ll be approaching your life (and everyone in it) from a much more positive place.
- The last chakra you’ll be focusing on is the 6th or third eye chakra. Repeat the process here, looking for the glowing indigo light of this chakra to shine bright and strong. Your third eye chakra is where your mind and body converge; it’s the home of your intuition and decision-making abilities. A strong 6th chakra leads you to an inner knowledge that will guide you if you let it. It can help you with clairvoyance, telepathy, lucid dreaming, expanded imagination, and visualization, all of which can be useful as you walk the Wiccan, Witch, and/or Pagan path.
- Pay attention to any thoughts or images that come for you as you go through the ritual. Can you feel the energy moving? Trust your instincts here, if you feel you need more circles, go with it! You can also apply this technique to your other chakras, particularly if you feel you need healing or strengthening somewhere else.
- Once you’ve finished, stand up slowly and gently, shake off your body, and get the energy moving again and the blood flowing. Place both hands over your heart chakra and repeat “I love and accept myself” 7 more times. Be sure to note any changes in your body and/or your sense of self as you repeat this mantra. At this point, you have the option to write or state aloud an issue you would like assistance with. Since this full moon is about transformation, focus on an area of your life that you’d like to transform or learn to accept.
Finally, to close the ritual, give yourself a few minutes to think about what you experienced, re-smudge if you feel it’s necessary, and then snuff out the candle when you’re ready.