Raise the Shields!
This is a simple but powerful jar spell designed to protect you from negativity on a variety of levels. As with ANY spell, adapt/change/completely ignore what I have here to fit it to your needs and your practice. There are many other ingredients and combinations that can be used, so use what feels best to you. Be the Captain of your own vessel, and Raise your shields!
- Sea salt – cleansing, purification, and protection.
- Fennel – wards off negative energies by its purifying properties and provides protection to the human energy field while fortifying healthy boundaries; associated with healing and vitality.
- Rosemary – powerful cleansing and purifying vibrations, and is used to rid negativity; also associated with preventing nightmares and sleep.
- Cloves (whole if you have them) – promotes healing and heightens courage. Strengthens the conscious mind and provides insight into our pain (physical or emotional) and allows a connection into the realm that the physical and emotional are interwoven.
- Frankincense – heightens awareness on all levels by inspiring and awakening the spiritual senses, and reduces stress by pointing out that our lives are bound up with more than one reality. It releases powerful vibrations for protection and purification and enhances divine connection, bringing inner peace.
- Black tourmaline (just about any black stone will work if you can’t find this one readily) – wards off negative energy.
- Rose quartz – replaces negative feelings with positive ones.
- A small jar with a lid (repurposed spice jar maybe) to carry with you
- Another jar with a lid (jelly jar or baby food jar but the size is up to you) to leave in your room
Most of these ingredients should be pretty easy to get, either from your kitchen cabinet or the grocer (if buying, look for organic but go with what budget and time allows); all of the herbs can be dried but if you want to use fresh just dry them in the oven or microwave first so that they don’t mold in your jar. Quantities of each will be dependent on the sizes of the jars you use. The herbs should be pretty balanced with a few pieces of the resin for each jar. Do what feels right with the stones; a single piece of each works but even chips will work. You can either layer the ingredients in the jars or mix them together; you’re the witch so do what feels natural and right for you!
Gather your ingredients, and if it’s part of your practice, cast your circle.
One at a time, take each ingredient and cup it between your hands, calling on the individual qualities listed above (i.e. for the salt, you’re calling on its cleansing, purification and protection abilities), charging it for this spell. After all of the items are charged, place them in a bowl (if mixing them) or the jars (if layering). Add resin and stones last to the jars so that you know each one has what it needs. It can help to chant something simple while you’re working to stay focused. Here is a simple example:
Raise the shields
Lock the bars
Let the light of love
Fill these protection jars!
Once the jars are filled (you need to decide if you want the jars tightly or loosely packed, again go with what feels right), seal them. If you feel like the jars need to be further sealed, you can dip the lids in melted wax or drip the wax over them. This is when you would decorate them as well, but this is also a personal choice.
Finish the spell with a short incantation to unleash the protection:
Raise the shields from spirit to bone
Protect my ether, person, and home
Keep all negativity far from me
As I will it, mote it be!
Your jars are now finished and ready to go. If you opened a circle, close it and thank those who came to help you. Carry the small jar with you (purse, bag, pocket, etc.) and place the larger jar in the room you spend the most time in. I wish you the brightest of blessings!